WildCare's Youth Volunteer Program is for high school students!
Every spring and summer, WildCare experiences what is referred to as “Baby Season,” when our patient load soars with orphans and injured wildlife in need of care.
We are looking for student volunteers to assist our adult Hospital Volunteers and Medical Staff with support tasks such as sweeping, mopping, laundry, dishes, patient diet prep and husbandry.
It is very important to note: while Student Volunteers will be working within the Wildlife Hospital and will, at times, have the unique opportunity to see wildlife patients up close, they will NOT be working hands-on with any animals.
The work all of our volunteers do is imperative in order to maintain and deliver our high level of care for our wildlife patients! This is a great opportunity to learn more about the behind-the-scenes operations of a Wildlife Hospital.
Students who successfully volunteer in this program will be given priority when applying for an adult Hospital Volunteer position (18 years and up).
The Youth Volunteer Orientation will be held in person for accepted applicants at WildCare on an upcoming Saturday (TBD) from 10am to 1pm.
2023 Youth Volunteer Opportunities for High School Students
- Current high school students under 18 years of age only (incoming freshman will be considered).
- Must have a reliable mode of transportation.
- Must be able to commit to one weekly shift for a minimum of 9 months (or until school starts again in the fall).
- Must fill out our online application and attend orientation and training.
- Both one adult parent/guardian and student together must attend an in-person orientation, and students must attend the entire training session.
- All Youth Volunteers are expected to fill out applications by themselves and will be responsible for all communications with WildCare.
- Apply through our online application here.
- Once we’ve reviewed your application, you will hear within two weeks if your application has been approved.
- If your application was accepted, you will be invited to attend our in-person orientation and training on Sunday, March 26 from 10am - 1pm. We encourage interested youth volunteers to complete the application now.
Volunteering in WildCare's Wildlife Hospital
Our Wildlife Hospital cares for over 3,500 wild animals a year, from as many as 200 different species. We provide ongoing care for our patients seven days a week, fifty-two weeks a year with a dedicated team of staff and more than 250 volunteers.
Our goal? To restore our wild patients to full health so that they may be released safely back to their natural habitats.
Student Volunteers learn species identification, hygiene and safety precautions and protocols, and proper diet and food preparation. Hospital staff provides comprehensive diagnoses and treatments for our patients utilizing x-rays, blood work and more, and the work our Student Volunteers do make this care possible. Everyone works together to accommodate the feeding, cleaning and medication requirements of each patient.